Saturday 30 October 2010

Lonely Galaxy



I'm currently meant to be doing English coursework but I was so excited about this I couldn't move on in good conscience before getting this out of my system and sharing this with you!

I discovered a music news and reviews site that was new to me yesterday- The Line of Best Fit. Whilst getting to know the site I discovered that they have a "Sessions" section with performances from artists they cover. The first session I came across was from the act I'm blogging about- Lonely Galaxy. I leapt over to his (it's a one man band, comprised of 21 year old Harry Granger Howell) MySpace page and was blown away. That phrase is used to death in reference to discovering new artists but really. I was gobsmacked.

Lonely Galaxy creates truly beautiful music. It's like listening to Sigur Ros on their album () when they were really getting the hang of creating startling, icy yet warm-like-a-hug soundscapes. It's the sound of pure sentiment and emotion being poured into whatever sounds this guy can get his hands on, and it all comes together in this majestic tidal wave of music that just builds and builds beautifully like some overwhelming emotion swelling in your chest until it gulps up your lungs and heart and shines out of your ribs. The recordings are recorded pretty lo-fi but that just adds to the real, quivering emotion evident all over the tracks. The lyrics are pretty simple and if removed from the music and Harry Granger Howell's voice they would sound a bit vacuous and maybe cheesy- "I want to feel alive", "I've been feeling pretty low" etc. but it's achingly honest. This is music you really have to surrender yourself to, and it will lift you up and carry you away. My favourites at the moment are "Time" and "Nutts".

I don't have links to any mp3s, but I've ordered his debut EP already (I think it's only out on vinyl though) released by Transparent Records who are fast becoming one of my favourite labels. Below is a link to his MySpace and the home made video for "Time". Enjoy, and let these gorgeous sounds slip inside and around you.


MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/lonelygalaxy


Lonely Galaxy - "Time" from Jamie Harley on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment