Friday 29 October 2010

Girls- "Heartbreaker"




I never really got Girls the first time round (oh how true that rings in other areas of my life). Not the fairer sex, but the California based indie rock band. I think it's because I was initially off put for some reason by the very twee, very hairy video for their single "Lust for Life". Pitchfork went mad over them and put their debut Album in their Top 10 Albums of 2009. I think album and band names that made them impossible to Google put me off as well. But after hearing new song "Heartbreaker" I feel like a total, TOTAL idiot. This song is just brilliant, a classic indie pop number that is impossible not to fall in love with. The vocals are so wonderfully and endearingly understated that your heart melts. All of the musical elements wash together into a beautiful, warm embrace of a song that just so easy to slide into and effortlessly enjoy. The bassline lifts you up and bounces you along through the whole dream pop experience. It shimmers with liek something from Belle and Sebastian or a much happier Morrisey. It's form forthcoming EP Broken Dream Clubs, which I will now be eagerly looking forward to! I've gone back and listened to stuff from their first album and am already regretting not doing so sooner.

Link below to download "Heartbreaker" from smashing indie blog Gorilla vs Bear:

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2010/10/25/mp3-girls-heartbreaker/


No comments:

Post a Comment