Wednesday 12 January 2011

Kurt Vile - "Jesus Fever"



I came across Kurt Vile's name a couple of years ago and I think I just glossed over him without really investigating. Then at some point last year during a phase of indiscriminate free mp3 downloading, I acquired his track "In My Time" but, once again, didn't listen to it. Then at the end of last week, a few blogs started buzzing over his release of a free mp3 called "Jesus Fever", from his forthcoming LP Smoke Ring For My Halo.

"Jesus Fever" really is a beautiful little gem. It's warm, watery, fuzzy freak folk. There are layers of beautiful, swimming guitars that flow like rivers through the woods. The whole thing is one of those wistful folky songs about disappearing and losing yourself out on the road, and opens with what is currently my favourite lyric of the the new year: "I pack my suitcase with myself but I'm already gone..." I'm guessing (and sort of hoping) that the whole album is as full of wandering, lilting, psychadelic folk as this, and judging form the title and the lyrics of "Jesus Fever" I reckon it will be all about losing yourself and the fleeting nature of being human. Wonderful :)

If you're into loose, lush and blissful folky tunes then this is definitely for you.

It's available in lots of places, I got it from Gorilla vs Bear. Click here the go there and grab the mp3.

No comments:

Post a Comment