Monday 15 March 2010

2010 - A Year For Music

If you've read even half a sentence in passing of one of my blogs, you'll know that I'm a huge lover of music and a huge hater of the charts. No change here I'm afraid. 2010 is seeming like an incredible year for music as far as I can see. Here are the albums out so far (we're only halfway through March!) that I've fallen in love with:

Vampire Weekend- "Contra"
Gorillaz- "Plastic Beach"
Yeasayer- "Odd Blood"
Liars- "Sisterworld"
Beach House- "Teen Dream"
These New Puritans- "Hidden"
Titus Andronicus- "The Monitor"
Frightened Rabbit- "The Winter of Mixed Drinks"
Hot Chip- "One Life Stand"
Los Campesinos!- "Romance is Boring"
The Magnetic Fields- "Realism"

Seriously, these are all quality. If you haven't heard of them then PLEASE investigate! Seriously, they're all quality albums. If you think I'm assuming an "indier than thou" position well I'm sorry for avoiding the ready-meal style of the charts.

In addition to this, there are some albums I am incredibly excited about which have yet to be released!

Laura Marling- "I Speak Because I Can" (although I've heard all the songs, legally, already!)
The National- "High Violet"
MGMT- "Congratulations" (more anxious than excited...)
The Hold Steady- "Heaven is Whenever"
Of Montreal- "False Priest"
LCD Soundsystem- TBA
The Strokes- TBA (again, more anxious than excited...)
Arcade Fire- TBA

Those are the biggies at the moment! I'm loving this year musically. If not as a whole, I'm having a fantastic personal journey. There are so many great, individual, original, honest bands appearing; earning their stripes and making the effort to appeal to fans and listeners in new ways. There are no discernible trends or scenes dominating, apart from the ever more loathsome "femtronica" movement (Ellie Goulding, I'm looking in your uninspired direction)

So yeah, that's my report on Music in 2010 as of the 15th of March. How about you? Have you got any tips for upcoming artists or albums? Things I've missed and should be listening to? Please do feed back to me :) God Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment