Tuesday 1 March 2011

Top Records - January/February 2011

Goodness gracious I can't believe it's March already. It's been an eventful couple of months. Exams, blogging, gigs, the whole of North Africa deciding it's time for a new world order. It's all been going on. But I thought I'd take this opportunity, now that a sixth (A SIXTH! That's like 16.5%!) of the year has passed, to share with you the 5 main records from this year that have been dominating my listening habits. There's plenty of tracks I've been listening to as well, and albums that I have yet to buy, but here's what I've had my hands on especially:

The King is Dead by The Decemberists


I'd never really listened to The Decemberists a great deal before this year, but I got my hands on this album through my involvement with the awesome music blog Tympanogram. This is such a lovely record. It bagged a surprise #1 spot over in America and, whilst that might partly be because it was available pretty cheap on Amazon, it is a record that you can fall in love with. It's lush, sweet, heartfelt and with a disarming charm, and sounds like a cross between REM and early Neil Young. I think that disarming charm is key and it's what keeps me listening even when I know parts of the album sound embarassingly countryfied or like a Randy Newman offcut for Pixar. Colin Meloy's voice is just so lovely and uncomplicated, and he's a pretty deft lyricist on this album - humble, honest, insightful. And he comes across as a genuinely nice guy (and not in a pathetic, "would you like some of my cous-cous", Chris Martin style way). Favourite tracks on the album have to be the fantastic stomping opener "Don't Carry It All", the beautiful acoustic ballad "January Hymn" and the anthemic penultimate track "This Is Why We Fight", which uses that good ol' reliable chord sequence.

Yuck by Yuck

I've been quite excited about Yuck and their debut for a while. With music press hype as well as brilliant material thus far, this album was set to be a big listen. And after living with it for a good few days, it hasn't disappointed. They've been the subject of endless comparisons to 90s grunge acts like Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr and even Sonic Youth - which hasn't been entirely misplaced. However, the album is a lot mellower than you might have expected. It's not a return to the stripped down nature of their gorgeous Daughter EP, but tracks like "Shook Down", "Suicide Policeman" and "Stutter" are warm, engrossing, wonky indie rock ballads in the vein of some of Pixies softer moments. Even the discordant fuzz of closer (and fan favourite) "Rubber" is something you can just blissfully lack down into. They still deliver a hell of a punch on the heavier tracks though - "Get Away" and album highlight "Georgia", I'm looking at you. Lyrically, it's honest, youthful teenage stuff which, despite the endless grunge comparisons, often comes off as hazily romantic. This album is full of texture, heart and - most importantly - fantastic songs. My favourites are "Georgia", "Get Away" and "Shook Down".

Hunger by Frankie & The Heartstrings


Well what can I say about Frankie & The Heartstrings. They are one of the most criminally happy bands in the world. Frankie Francis is one of the most outrageously camp frontmen around. I saw them live last week and they had more playful energy than any band I've seen in a good, good while. "Gingerbread men on crack" was the comparison I used that evening, I believe. And all of that has translated into an album that full of shamelessly joyful, hyperactive indie pop gems. "Hunger", "Photograph, "Possibilites", "Tender" (heck most of the album) are all irresistibly bouncy and jangly. I keep feeling as if I should find Frankie Francis' colourful and flamboyant vocals vulgar, but I just fall more in love with them every time. It's just so fun! And when things slow down and we get serious, such as the massive six minute ballad "Fragile" in the middle of the album, it's just as easy to listen to. Every song is full of killer hooks and melodies, making an album that you just can't help but shamelessly enjoy. Favourite tracks have got to be "Tender", "Photograph" and "Don't Look Surprised".

The Kings of Limbs by Radiohead

I wrote a review of Radiohead's latest album, as well as some thoughts on the way they released it, so you can see a lot of my thoughts there. I just want to say that, when I stop thinking about the experimental nature of the album, to context of it within the rest of Radiohead's work, what it means for their future and all that malarkey, I realise that I find this album so immensely enjoyable to listen to now. It's not exactly one of those "difficult" or "challenging" albums, but, as I've said, it's not as easy to fall in love with as an album like In Rainbows. But after numerous listens, I am totally in love with it. It's beautiful, nearly every twist and turn is enchanting, and I get a real sense of how the band were clearly inspired by nature in the creation of the album. Also, the strength of each song has struck me more and more with every listen. The album doesn't use conventional song structures, but that doesn't mean the tracks aren't killer examples of song writing, especially in the latter half of the album. This is now an album which I can just drift away into and feel safe and peaceful. Favourite tracks are undoubtedly "Codex", "Give Up The Ghost" and "Separator".

Kiss Each Other Clean by Iron & Wine

Iron & Wine is, again, one of those artists whom I hadn't listened to a great deal before, but whose most recent release I got into through my association with Tympanogram. Everything I had heard from him I'd loved, and I've since gone and investigated it a bit more, so know that this album is quite different from his earlier, more "classic" material - something a lot of fans have taken issue with. But I love this album. It's got so much going for it. The instrumentation and arrangements are fantastic, even if there are moments where things seem a tad cluttered and end up sounding like free jazz. The songs underneath are killer, and Sam Beam's lyrics and vocal delivery are beautiful and nuanced throughout the whole thing. There's a whole range of textures and emotions, from the frantic "Rabbit Will Run" to the much mellower "Half Moon". My favourite tracks have got to be "Godless Brother in Love", "Tree By The River" and "Walking Far From Home".

Honourable Mentions:
Zonoscope by Cut Copy
James Blake by James Blake

Also, some of the older stuff I've been revisiting have been:
- all of Radiohead's back catalogue
- Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers by The National
- The Queen Is Dead and Meat Is Murder by The Smiths
- hefty amounts of Los Campesinos!
- equally hefty amounts of Crystal Castles
- Frank Sinatra, as always
- All We Grow by S Carey

So there's a little update on my listening habits over the past two months, if you care at all. Should make for interesting reading one day, when I'm older, wiser and deafer. God bless folks - keep listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment