Tuesday 19 May 2009

Why Do We Blog?

Meandering home from school today, a thought chanced upon me. Why do people blog? I'm sure there are lots of other blogs on this subject and I'm sure there's some immense degree of irony involved in that somehwere, but I'll just muse for a little bit.
I reckon that blogging is very rarely shameless self promotion. And I think for a minority (a large minority, but a minority) it's akin to having a diary or venting on someone (I wonder how many blogs on the internet end with the phrase "rant over") And if we're honest, most of us don't particularly care about the latest baby photos of someone we don't know from across the Atlantic. So THAT'S not why we blog.

I think the main reason people blog is because humans are a people of communication. Admittedly in our detached 21st century world, comunication can often be hard to find, due to technology and what not, but, ironically, I think internet blogging is all about communication. All literature, film, theatre etc. is communication, and blogging's on that list as well. It's just what we do as humans. It's part of who we are. We want to relate and communicate. As a Christian I'd say that is 100% tied to humans being made in God's image i.e- we're like Him in certan respects. God is incredibly communicative and relational, and our NEED for communication is trait from Him.
So I hope I've communicated something via this... see what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment